1. First, figure out which size straightener is best for your hair type.The general rule is the shorter the hair, the thinner the flat iron. For people with longer, thicker hair, a wide flat iron is best.
2. And know the difference between the different types of straighteners.
Putting 365 degrees of heat directly on your hair can cause dryness, breakage, and overall fried hair. Spritz on a heat protectant spray while your hair is damp to put a barrier between the flat iron and your hair. You can get this one for just $6.75
4. Set the heat no higher than 365 degrees.
Hair burns at the same temperature as paper: 451°F. The highest temperature that you should use your flat iron on is 365°F. For those with fine hair, the temperature should be between 300 and 325 degrees.
Once you’ve completely ironed your hair, drape the hot hair over a brush until it cools with a bend. Check out the tutorial here.
6. When you get to the crown, flat-iron your hair up and toward the ceiling to get volume.
7. Switch things up by using your straightener to curl your hair.
8. Or make some ~beachy waves~.
9. Check out this genius twist-and-gel trick to flat-iron natural hair without blow-drying it first.
10. Get perfectly smooth hair by using a straightening comb and your flat iron at the same time.
The straightening comb will detangle and help the hair sit flat while the straightener does its job. You can get one here for just $6.01
11. Use a thermal brush at your roots to get rid of any cowlicks.
Plus, you’ll get extra volume at the crown of your head.
12. Crimp your hair by flat-ironing a braid.
Now for some maintenance tips:
13. With a washcloth and some rubbing alcohol, clean the gunk off your plates.
14. Make this DIY flat iron holder for traveling out of a pot holder.
15. Grab a pair of ear covers to avoid burning your skin.You can get it here for just $2.99
16. Get this holster to hold your straightener while you’re sectioning off your hair.
17. And in a pinch, use your straightener to iron your collar :)
For complete instructions go to BuzzFeed
Sign up here with your email